19 Jul 2011

Summer 2011 Impression (part 2)


I'm more or less done checking out shows that seemed interesting to me, so I'll probably just stopped my impressions of this season here. Splitting this post into 2 since there are quite a few shows to cover.




Nurarihyon no Mago Sennen Makyou 1
Surprise! Despite the lacklustre season 1, Nurarihyon no Mago is back with an awesome flashback episode. It made the characters feel much more involved in the plot, whereas season 1 had the classmates being almost totally useless and inconsequential to the plot. It has the right mood and the right pacing. I'm cautiously optimistic about the 2nd season being any better than the first, but it's off to a good start!
Potential: 3 stars (please don't be like season 1!)


YuruYuri 1
Nicely animated, fun and funny. In this picture we have this series' boke and tsukkomi combo. Nothing really special though, so I'll only watch when time permits.
Potential: 2 stars (both fun and meh at the same time)


Kamisama Dolls 1
It's... pretty cool! The sound design somehow reminds me of Bokurano, which is kinda creepy and unsettling. Quite a bit of potential but, like Bokurano, the initial novelty might wear off quickly. I need to see a bit more to decide though.
Potential: 4 stars (if it gets the atmosphere right, this might work)


Natsume Yuujinchou San 1
It's yet another one of those good shows I will miss out on. This isn't an OMG MUST WATCH, but its really worth watching. I might marathon the 1st 2 seasons before watching this, probably at end of the year.
Potential: 3 stars (I should really go watch the 1st 2 seasons)


Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel Kyun Kyun Tokimeki Paradise 1
At first I thought this would be a show so bad, it'll be worth watching just for the lulz. But NO. This is bad. Really bad. And I'm not even talking about animation or art. The story, writing, characters, all horrible. Probably one of the most stupid things I've ever watched.
Potential: 0 stars (what potential?)


Nyanpire 1
Err.. Hmm. Kinda cute I guess. But ultimately pointless and stupid. The first episode feels like they have ALREADY run out of ideas. I liked the ED though.
Potential: 0 stars (ran out of steam)


Morita-san wa Mukuchi 1
Boring as well, but I could see some potential for funny moments. What's with all the low grade short anime? Needs more Fireball Charming.
Potential: 1 star (does having the potential to be funny count?)


Uta no Prince-sama 1
It was the highest voted "Favourite anime of July so far" on a Biglobe Poll after the 2nd episode aired. Probably all the fujoshi planned this, along with voting iDOLM@STER as the most disappointing. It's sad to see so many wonderful frames of animation wasted on this crap...
Potential: 1 star (superior dance animation and... nothing else)


Usagi Drop 1
This is it! JC-Staff + Noitamina style slice of life, lovingly animated by Production I.G. It gives a Hachimitsu to Clover vibe, with some Hourou Musuko and Kodomo no Jikan mixed in. Usagi Drop will join the ranks of Hachimitsu to Clover and Hourou Musuko as some of my all-time favourite slice-of-life show. Please Production I.G. and Noitamina, take this to the next level! Extend this to 26 episodes and introduce another 26 episode sequel to animate Rin in her teenage years. This could be epically good!
Potential: 5 stars (really evokes the same feel as hachikuro...)


Mayo Chiki 1
Take Nyan Koi and insert more ecchi and you will get Mayo Chiki. What I mean by this is that it has some semblance of quality, but also some typical harem/ecchi plot devices. Well, this has a Charles/Charlotte look-alike, so I guess it's worth checking out.
Potential: 3 stars (assuming it's as good as Nyan Koi, but with more ecchi)

No comments: