5 Jul 2008

Movies - Summer 2008

Yeah, I know many good summer movies have already come and gone, but I'm gonna write this anyway, even if it is just for my own reference so that I know what to watch.

Out Now:

You Don't Mess with the Zohan - Seems crazy. In a good way. Been itching for a good comedy for quite a while. Nothing like a good laugh to forget that you're paying an exorbitant fee to watch a movie!

Get Smart - Another comedy. Steve Carell has proven himself to be quite funny on the big screens too. Pity most of my friends have already watched this :(

Driving Lessons - Quite a risky film to pick if I don't have the time and money to watch everything. But Rupert Grin (my favourite among the main Harry Potter actors) is in there, so how bad can it be?

Children of Glory - It seems all "Children of.." films are a little arty and tend to be rather interesting (Children of Men, Children of Heaven). This one sounds quite good, though a little over-dramatized.

Hancock - I don't really like most of Will Smith's films (except Men in Black and Wild Wild West), but this one adds an interesting twist to the standard superhero formula. From what I see in reviews so far, it starts off as a action comedy, and gets serious in the second half. Hmmm...

The Bank Job - I've heard good things about this movie. Not really a deep or arty film, but still very good. Anyone wanna sneak into this R21 movie with me? =P

Coming Soon:

Hellboy 2 - I didn't watch the first film, but I loved Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. MUST WATCH

Red Cliff - The Chinese Government lent them 20000 PLA soldiers for the filming of certain battle scenes. Takashi Kaneshiro is boycotting the film for it's inaccurate portrayal of Chinese history though. John Woo is directing this effort, so expect lots of over-the-top action sequences. I just hope there won't be pistol fights.

The Dark Knight - Batman! In my opinion, the first one was the BEST superhero movie I have ever watched. Yes, much better than Spiderman, X-men, and Iron Man. And this one has Heath Ledger as The Joker! I'll rant more about superhero movies in another post... MUST WATCH

No comments: